Form 1040EZ


Form 1040EZ is a simple one page tax return. In order to file Form 1040EZ, the following requirements must be met:

  1. Your filing status is Married Filing Jointly or Single.
  2. You do not claim any dependents.
  3. You do not claim a deduction for educator expenses, the student loan interest deduction, or the tuition and fees deduction.
  4. You do not claim an education credit, the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, or the health insurance credit for eligible recipients.
  5. You and your spouse were under age 65 and not blind at the end of the tax year.
  6. Your taxable income is less than $100,000.
  7. You had only wages, salaries, tips, unemployment compensation, taxable scholarships and fellowship grants, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and your taxable interest was not over $1,500.
  8. You did not receive any advance Earned Income Credit (EIC) payments.
  9. You are not a nonresident alien at any time during the year, unless you are filing a joint return with your U.S. citizen or resident spouse.
  10. You did not owe any household employment taxes on wages you paid to a household employee.
  11. You did not receive advanced payments of the premium tax credit.

If you don't meet all of the above requirements, you must use either Form 1040A or Form 1040.

Form 1040EZ Tax Tips

  1. Even if you filed a Form 1040EZ last year, you can still file Form 1040 or Form 1040A if your situation has changed this year. If you have itemized deductions, adjustments to income such as student loan interest, or credits other than the Earned Income Credit, you should look to see if filing Form 1040 or 1040A instead of 1040EZ. It will save you taxes.

How To Avoid Common Mistakes

  1. Enter the correct name and social security number for yourself and spouse.
  2. Double check your math.
  3. Remember to sign and date Form 1040EZ and enter your occupation.
  4. Attach your W-2 form(s) to the left margin of Form 1040EZ (one or two staples attaching the W-2s to the left margin works well).
  5. If you owe tax and are paying by check or money order, make your check or money order payable to "United States Treasury". Do not attach the payment to the return. Write your Social Security Number on the check or money order. Make sure your name, current address and daytime phone number are also on the check or money order.

© 2005-2012, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated web site